Laura, Face Painting, and Puppies

One of our first committed disciples was Laura. I don’t know why it took me so long to write her story, but I want to have it here. Junior and Jaci (our pastors) met her at an ice cream shop. She’s a single mom and was there with her four-year-old Sofi. While Sofi and Hadassa played, Jaci and Laura chatted about life and the church. Jaci told me about her the next day, and we tried for weeks to get ahold of her. We exchanged texts a couple times, but I was fairly convinced I would never see her in person. Then she showed up at a house of prayer (Bible study). She talked really fast, and I still didn’t understand Spanish very well. All I kept thinking was how much she looked like an angry kitten. She’s a small person, and she sat back a little ways from the table with her arms crossed. She spoke barely above a whisper which made it sound like she was spitting—spitting fire. I didn’t understand what it was that had evoked such wrath, but I knew I didn’t want to be on the receiving end of it.

Laura and I at our house of prayer
Apparently Rachel takes pictures during prayer
She came back the next week full of anger and bitterness: THOSE people, THAT man, how DARE they. The third week, I watched Jaci’s reaction wondering when we would have to have the forgiveness talk and confront all this anger. The incredible thing is that we never did. We kept teaching, she kept coming to church and reading her Bible at home. As God continued to fill her with His word and His presence, the anger just melted out of her. After a couple months, she was, and is, a different person. She still doesn’t talk very loud, but she always talks with a smile.

And it’s not because her life has gotten easier. If anything, her circumstances have become more difficult. As the problems with her ex-husband and in-laws subsided, problems with her brother (who she’s living with) began and her mother’s health has declined. Work is difficult and raising a four-year-old is always a roller coaster. She lives pretty close to us, so we like to go for walks together in the evenings. I’ve seen her exhausted and seeking solutions for her problems, but I’ve never again seen a hint of the rage that use to consume her. Her favorite verse is Isaiah 41:10 “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not look anxiously about you, for I am you God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you. Surely I will uphold you with y righteous right hand.” God has certainly kept His promise to her.




It’s taken to raining here in the evenings, which has frustrated some of our evangelism plans. When we do have decent weather, we like to go to a nearby plaza and paint faces. It started with the question, “How can we attract people to us?” In a big city that’s been over-evangelized by Mormons, Jehovah’s Witnesses, and the prosperity gospel, how can we attract people to us in a way where they feel comfortable having a full conversation with us. So now we paint kids’ faces for free. The only caveat is that they have to bring their parents to the table to give permission. Then we explain to the parents that we are Christians, and we’d like to pray for their child and their family while we paint. It’s been a great way to talk with people about prayer with the added bonus of being fun and giving the opportunity to pray for Cordoba’s children. Usually some of our regular church attenders come by to help or hang out. It’s starting to feel like a real church family.

Hadassa
We did a lot of Elsa crowns.
Emilce and her son Ignacio. We met them at the first
face painting event. They came back for the second one and
have been attending the church!
































Although Rachel and Ashley are in the States visiting their families, the house has not felt empty. Right before they left, Genna and Julianna got two Yorkshire puppies. If you’ve read my past posts or know me, you know how I feel about pets. Caspian and Aslan are very cute and friendly, but Rachel and Ashley are pretty cute and friendly too. Plus they know how to use a toilet. I can’t wait for them to come back.



I just wanted a selfie, but Caspian needed to pee. You
might think, "Oh, how kind that he didn't want to pee in
your lap!" but after I put him down he ran straight to my
bedroom and peed in the hall outside my door.
It's his spot. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Health Update

February Newsletter

A Week of Selfies